Updates for your phone or tablet can be fun for the user as they usually bring new features and functionality, as well as increased performance. Your tablet or smartphone normally informs you when an update is available but if you know an update is available and you need to get your hands on it as soon as possible, this guide will show you how.
Before you go trying to update your device, you should check which version of Android you are running as you might already be on the latest version
- The most important thing is to back up your device. While updating your Android OS there is a small chance that your device may crash.
- Open your tablet or smartphone’s Settings. Android updates are typically only available through the device itself.
- Scroll down to “About phone or about tablet”. This is located at the bottom of the Settings list.” Tap it to open your device’s information screen.
- Tap the “Software updates” option.
- Tap “Update”. This may also be labeled “Check for updates”. Your device will check to see if any updates are available. Update availability is dependent on your device’s manufacturer as well as your mobile service provider. Remember that new updates may not always be available for all devices.
- Tap “Restart & install”. Once the update has finished downloading, the device will need to restart in order to install the software. Don’t panic as this will render your device inoperable for a few minutes during the update process.