Adobe Photoshop is one of the most popular software in the world, but what is Photoshop student? Standard Photoshop has so many features that you need to take course to learn how to work in this amazing photo editing software.
But, did you know there’s a version of Adobe Photoshop dedicated only to higher education students?
Yes, it’s official name is “Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended – Student Edition,” and this software is really good option for students who have interest in photo editing.
When it comes to functionality, there is no significant difference between standard Photoshop Extended and Photoshop Extended – Student Edition.
Differences between Photoshop Student and other products
Main difference here is in price and consumer base, but also in EULA (End User License Agreement). To be noted, there’s difference between standard Photoshop and Photoshop Extended. In Adobe Photoshop Extended you can use several smart tools which are not present in standard edition of Adobe “flagship” software.
So, what is actually “Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended – Student Edition” and why is it different from other Photoshop versions?
Well, first of all, Photoshop student comes with much lower price then other Adobe products. Student edition of Photoshop is 60-80 percent cheaper then standard Photoshop Extended Edition. But, there’s a catch, of course.
Adobe make it perfectly clear about requirements that students must follow in order to be eligible to get Student Edition of their software.
• Students enrolled in grades K-12 at an accredited public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction.
• Faculty and staff employed by an accredited K-12 or higher education institution
• Students enrolled at a higher education institution defined as an accredited public or private university or college (including community, junior, or vocational college) that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two years of full-time study.
• Other qualified examples as listed by Adobe from time to time on its website or in other written communication
What can you do with this product when you buy it?
And that is not all. Students who want to buy this Adobe Photoshop Edition also must provide quite a few things. Evidence of their enrolment in the form of a student ID, transcript, or proof of enrolment. When you send all of this to Adobe as a proof, you get a serial number to the software. Must be noted that serial numbers for Photoshop Student Edition are different from standard edition serials.
Hold on, there’s more.
Student Edition also have a different licence agreement compared to other Adobe products.
This is some of the key points in Adobe Photoshop Student Edition that affect North American student licensees:
• Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended – Student Edition can be used only on private computers. It’s prohibited to use this software on business-owned or school-owned devices. From the other hand, Student Edition is free to use on two devices, such as desktop and a laptop.
• Photoshop Student Edition cannot be sold or borrowed. Adobe has make it perfectly clear that company does not want students to buy cheaper software and then make it profit out of it.
• It is allowed to buy only one copy of a Student Edition. Yes, the reason is the same like mentioned above. No profit.
• This software can be used after graduation.
• Adobe is allowing to use Student Edition of Photoshop for commercial use. In other words, students can sell images produced and edited in this software can be sold before or after student graduates.
• Once you buy this software, that’s it. You can not returned it or exchange it.
On official Adobe website there’s a page with Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about student versions of their software. To be noted, terms listed above are for North America students only, international students may be subject to different terms, and are advised to check local versions of Adobe’s website.